Back to photo list

"Packard-Huron" street car on South Main, Ann Arbor, sometime before March, 1907.

The picture above is taken automatically from, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact
This is from a real photo postcard. It had a blank space at the left for a message, which I have cropped off -- but its existence means that the card was made before implementation -- in March, 1907 -- of new postal regulations which permitted the back of a card to be divided, and a message inscribed there, beside the address.

Michigan photo historian Dave Tinder bought the card in an eBay auction in March, 2008. No other copy is known to exist. It now goes into Dave's Michigan photographic collection, at the University of Michigan's Clements Library.

The lawn in the foreground, with winding paths, is the front yard of the Arlington Hotel, which occupied a building that had been erected in the first half of the nineteenth century, as the home of businessman William S. Maynard, a land developer and three-time Mayor of Ann Arbor. Later in the 20th century, the old house became the Elks Lodge, and finally (a few years before its demolition), the headquarters of the Ann Arbor Civic Theater. Next door to the north in this photo is a house (which still exists), and beyond that, Mrs. Cosgrove's Millinery Shop, marked by a sign.

Only one or two other photographs exist from this time that show the buildings on the opposite side of the street. The tall one in the middle was Frank W. Wilkinson's: he started business as a junk shop, but by the time this photo was made his high wall sign advertised "furniture" and "stoves" and "new and secondhand goods bought and sold." The business evolved into the Wilkinson Luggage Shop, which segued into a gift store and lasted at the Main Street location for nearly a hundred years. Just north of Wilkinson's was a combination newsagent and barbershop, and north of that was the Greek Revival home of businesswoman and philanthropist Bertha Muehlig, who in 1911 bought a drygoods store in which she had been a longtime employee, at the NW corner of Main and Washington. South of Wilkinson's was an automobile garage, with a huge roof sign advertising Goodrich Tires.
Date: 2005-04-07 03:41:50

Ann Arbor Main Street Dave Tinder Collection Michigan trolley car streetcar

Visit :


1950 Ann Arbor News photo of East side of Main Street north of William: []

1912 close up view of two buildings across Main Street:
Two views of summer streetcars (with open sides) on South Main:

The scene above during Art Fair, 2008:
Wystan 2008-07-27 11:54:31
Pesha postcard view of an enclosed streetcar on North Main Street:
Wystan 2009-03-24 14:36:29
A postcard view of the Maynard House / Arlington Hotel / Elks Lodge shows the winding paths from a different angle:
Another postcard of the Ann Arbor Elks Lodge (BPOE No. 325):
Wystan 2013-01-13 01:56:08

Members of | Partnered with
Powered by | Promoted by

Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : and